The Sanctuary of Saint Humilis (Sant’Umile), known as “Convento la Riforma”, was founded by the Blessed Pietro Cathin, sent by St. Francis of Assisi. The portal, which dates back to the 15th century and is surmounted by the coat of arms of the Sanseverino Princes, leads us into the nave that culminates in the apse. Here we find the wood sculpture of Crucified Jesus, the work of Friar Umile of Petralia, dating back to 1637 (the year of Sant’Umile’s death).
The construction of the basilica began in 1893, under the direction of Guido Quercioli, and it was finished in 1898. Inside there are twelve aristocratic chapels, and the central chapel has an urn made entirely of bronze and glass that has the recomposed body of the Saint. The interior of the basilica is frescoed with depictions of the miracles attributed to the Saint. The cupola is 32 meters tall with two towers and bronze copper plated bells.
The Cupone Visitor Centre was established in the spaces adjacent to the old state-owned sawmill and its buildings. Today it is an environmental education centre with nature trails, wildlife observatories, a museum, and a geological garden. The nearby picnic area along Lake Cecita, make the Visitor Centre one of the most popular areas of the Sila National Park.